Since 2010 the world of blood pressure medicine has been fortunate to see the arrival of several new and highly promising approaches to help patients for whom medications have not succeeded in bringing their BP under control. As Director of the Barts BP Clinic, Prof. Lobo has been at the forefront of novel therapeutic developments in his field and is currently involved as a principal investigator in several multinational trials of hypertension technologies. Some of these are listed below:
- Renal Denervation
- Chief Investigator EnligHTN II study of multielectrode radiofrequency renal denervation
- Principal Investigator of Symplicity HTN II study (Medtronic)
- Principal Investigator Wave IV study (Kona Medical)
- Central Iliac Arteriovenous Anastomosis (ROX Coupler)
- Chief Investigator of the ROX Control HTN Study
- Chief Investigator of the ROX Global Hypertension Registry
- Carotid sinus stimulation
- Prof. Lobo is working as a Specialist adviser to the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) to enable adoption of this therapy in the UK for NHS Patients.
- Carotid body ablation
- Prof. Lobo is collaborating with colleagues in the Bristol Heart Institute on a randomised controlled study of this novel treatment strategy
It is important to emphasise that device therapy of hypertension remains experimental and at present Dr Lobo is only offering these treatments to patients in the framework of clinical trials.